Eggs & Embryos

Wednesday, March 18, 2015


Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe the one reason it will |
Forget all the reasons why it won't work, and believe the one reason it will.

So it's the days after egg retrieval.

Everything went really well yesterday. I went in, they put me under, I woke up and BAM, they were able to retrieve 15 eggs. This is a solid number--a good number to work with.
Recovery was not too bad post-surgery--despite the fact that I kept telling everyone how handsome my husband is...and may have told the anesthesiologist he was a little handsome too, but no big deal!

I came home and just rested most of the day. I've had a low-grade fever for the last 12 hours or so, so we are watching that. I did pretty well with the pain, until about 10:00 last night, I had to take some ibuprofen. I have not had to take any today for pain. I have been pretty nauseous all day, but sometimes anesthesia does that to me. I'm doing well, but still have that lingering low-grade fever we are watching out for. 

Just a few minutes ago the endocrinology lab called me. The endocrinologist has the most awesome Aussie accent, I love it. She said of the 15 eggs, only one was pre-mature (that's great from what she said). One embryo didn't make it, so we have 13 strong embryos right now. Within 3 days (Friday), it's expected that only about 1/3 of those embryos will survive. We are hoping and praying to have a handful (at least) by Friday. She said that age is on our side so there is a good chance we'll have more than 1/3 survive, but there really is no way of knowing. I will be getting a call on Friday with an update on how many have made it! 

My nerves will be a mess for the next few days, to say the least.

I'm pleased with these numbers though, it gives us quite a few to work with. So Friday, they will decide which embryo looks best for transplantation, they'll prep that embryo, and SUNDAY is our BIG transfer day!

Everything has gone so well up to this point, I pray that it will continue. I can't tell you all how incredible this journey has been so far, and I can't believe it's coming down to these next few days. My heart is racing constantly. I also want to just say how incredibly miraculous it is to get pregnant. I always knew it was--but never to the depths I understand now. It is a true miracle to be able to get pregnant, for everything to fall into the perfect place! Watching us "create" a baby has been miraculous for us and has make me see, without questions, that God's hand is in the whole process. Funny isn't it, that watching science do its thing has made me see how very much God has his hand in bringing to earth, life.

Some have asked about our fundraising efforts. I have to tell you that we plan on continuing these efforts. We estimated early on that we would need about $20,000 for this process, and we have already spent close to $25,000. It's all so worth it, but Lucas and I have taken out several loans to make this happen. We never want you to think your money isn't being used for this cause--it is and always will be. I hope you'll never doubt that. Thanks for all who have already donated--and who will still donate in the future. We promise that we will stop fundraising efforts as soon as we reach an end to all the out-of-pocket expenses that keep popping up.

I can't thank you enough for all your love and support. You simple comments on this blog and Facebook keep me going some days. Your love and generosity brightens my day. Your sweet text messages, emails and private message mean more to me than you'll ever know. This process is trying and having friends on your side makes an enormous difference. We love you and thank you!

XOXO,
Deja

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! I read this, and I'm so flipping excited for you!! I can't imagine how anxious your nerves are. Your story is a glaring example on how we should never give up on a dream. I for one certainly don't think I have nearly as much endurance and classy as you have shown. So flipping excited for y'all! Lila can't wait for her new little friend!

    ReplyDelete