Our Infertility Story

Wednesday, March 26, 2014



We are Lucas and Deja. We met our first day of graduate school at Louisiana Tech University. Lucas knew the day we met that I was the girl he would marry someday; he was right! We have been through much together in our relationship including Lucas deploying to Iraq for a year, moving to separate states to finish school and work on our careers and the biggest of all, infertility. 

We both long to add to our family and be the awesome parents we know we can be. Lucas works for a wilderness therapy program and is a Captain in an Army Special Operations Unit. I am a PhD student working on a degree in K-12 education and I also teach cane travel to blind kids and travel the country advocating for them. Oh, and I happen to be blind myself

As a couple, we love life together and find joy in hiking, the outdoors (mostly Lucas more than me), trying new foods, traveling, playing board games, exercising, baking/eating cupcakes and riding our tandem bike around town. We have a unique and beautiful love for each other and know we want to share it with a littler person of our own.

I have been struggling with infertility for nearly a decade now (it’s crazy to know it’s been that long). I have a history of endometriosis, heavy/life-threatening periods and no working fallopian tubes; the conclusion is that I can’t conceive or carry a baby on my own. 

Thankfully God has made science possible and we can still become parents. 
My baby sister has offered to be a gestational carrier for us and we couldn’t be more thrilled. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would have to have a certain amount of money ($20,000 in our case) to be a mom! But here we are and we are ready and willing to work our tails off, save every penny and do what we need to make our dream a reality. This is our story, this is our journey; it’s something chocolate can’t fix but we are ready to piece together our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment