The Legalities of Love

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Gavel chocolate cupcake
Photo credit: Icon Square
Just got off the phone with our lawyer! I really like her and think she is a good fit for us; she is as excited (okay, not as) as I am. Here is what the legal process entells and the expenses that go with it.

Legal Contract: $1,000
This is what Ambree and Derek and Lucas and I will put together going through every detail of the process and discussing every cenerio imaginable. This should be an interesting process, I will update you when we actually see what all this entails. No matter who you use as a carrier, this is a required step of the process (understandably).

Court Filing Fees: $360
This is self-explanatory, you have to pay to file the paperwork and appear before a judge. 

Parenting Process: $2,500
This comes after our carrier is pregnant and involves the process of making Lucas and I the parents and whatnot. Now, I'm not 100 percent sure what this all involves but comes after we have a bun in the oven.

So all in all we are looking at almost $4,000 just in legal fees. Yikes, it seems like a lot! But I know it will be worth it in the end. The legal part is, by far, not the part I'm most excited about as it all seems a bit confusing but I told you I'd share it all with you, so even the boring stuff! :)

Legal Love,

Dej

2 comments:

  1. The legal process can be very costly for you. But as you’ve said, it’ll be worth all the effort in the end. You just have to stay positive about the outcome and present your side clearly and completely, and everything should follow. So, how are things doing now?

    Christine Bradley @ West Green Family Law

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems that the cost isn't an issue at all, since you are really looking forward to the positive sides of being under a legal contract. Oh well, no price is too high if your happiness and well-being is at stake, right? In any way, thanks for sharing that, Deja! I wish you all the best in that regard!

    Sandra Walker @ Eric Risk

    ReplyDelete